Film Viewing 2018 (Part 1)

I've been watching a lot of films this year - we're only half way through 2018 and already I'm well into triple figures! So, I've decided to share with you my favourite films of the year so far...(more coming soon)









Tenebrae  (1983) 

I used to own the cut VHS version of this back in the early 90s - the one that had the censored cover (the girl's slit and bleeding throat was obscured by a red ribbon tied in a bow).

The Arrow blu-ray release is the first time I've seen a complete uncut print of the film with the graphic and bloody arm severing scene in it's entirety.

Not Dario Argento's best film, but definitely in the Top 5.









Cinema Paradiso - Director's Cut   (1988)

Giuseppe Tornatore's masterpiece and arguably the greatest film in Italian cinema.

I first saw the 124 minute Theatrical Cut at a small arthouse cinema in Derby in 1991. This Arrow release is the first time I've seen the 3 hour Director's Cut and it is simply stunning. The addition of
several scenes ( some containing adult content) has raised the certificate from a PG to a 15.










Audition  (1999)

Takashi Miike's beautiful, yet dark and (very) disturbing J-Horror film.

I first saw this on DVD when a work colleague recommended it to me - and, yes, he did warn me about the latter half of the movie!

Yet another fine Arrow blu-ray release - Japanese cinema at it's very best, but be warned, the last third of the film is graphic, very disturbing and difficult to watch!!! Only for those with a strong stomach.








Sorcerer  (1977)

A true masterpiece of 1970s cinema and William Friedkin's second best film after The Exorcist.

Not released in the UK on VHS, this blu-ray was the first time I got to see the film outside of a dreadful third generation pirate copy that my friend had in the 1980s.

A massive flop when originally released, the film slipped into obscurity for over 3 decades, but in the last few years has been enjoying a re-evaluation and reappraisal from film critics - and rightly so!! Sorcerer is one of the 10 greatest films ever made!!











Altered States  (1980)

A grossly overlooked and cruelly dismissed little gem of a Ken Russell film. OK, it's not in the same league as The Devils, but it's not that far behind!

First saw this movie on a Warner Home Video rental from the local video shop when I was about 11 years old. It was gloriously bonkers then and it's gloriously bonkers now. The blu-ray is only available as a HMV Exclusive release.








Death Wish  (1974)


Back in the early 1980s my sister and my dad would take it in turns to rent out movies from the local video shop to watch on Fridays nights while my mum was out at work - the sleazier and grittier the better - Michael Wisher's Death Wish was one of those films.

It looks great on blu-ray, but the film hasn't dated that well. The first half of the movie is a little niave, bordering on childish, especially in it's depiction and execution of police procedures, but it gets better in the latter half as the emphasis shifts to Charles Bronson's vigilante shenanigans.









IT  (2017)


I missed this brand new adaptation of Stephen King's 1986 novel in the cinemas, so naturally I snapped up the blu-ray release when I spotted it in a sale online.

Beautifully creepy and creepily beautiful. This tale of childhood loneliness and alienation is one of the best movies based on a King novel.

Can't wait for Part Two.










To Live & Die In L.A.  (1985)

Another William Friedkin film and another absolute classic.

I'm going to be truthful now and say that when I first saw this film on VHS back in the 1980s I really wasn't that keen. I guess it wasn't exciting enough for the 14 year old me (not enough space ships, I expect...I was really into Sci-Fi films back then).

Now, though, I adore it. In my opinion it's better than The French Connection (which I also love), and it has a much better car chase in it too!!
















Visiting Hours  (1982)

A slasher flick co-starring William Shatner, what's not to love!?!

The Final Cut blu-ray is the first time it's been released completely uncut in the UK.

The film actually holds up pretty well after all these years. It's not a Halloween or Friday the 13th knockoff at all. Not my favourite Stalk-N-Slasher horror I've seen this year, but definitely high up on the list.









The Burning  (1981)

As with Visiting Hours above, the Arrow blu-ray release of Tony Maylam's Friday the 13th prototype
is a the original uncut print.

When The Burning was originally released on video in the UK it rather unfairly became caught up in the whole "video nasty" hysteria that was sweeping the country at the time.

Although the plot isn't entirely (or even remotely, for that matter) original, the best (not to mention most surprising) thing about revisiting this film is how fantastic the cast is. The acting is really strong, right across the board, making the teenagers likeable enough to care when they inevitably start getting sliced and diced.






Part 2 of my 2018 film viewing coming soon...




Comments

Popular Posts