from CARRIE to THE INSTITUTE - THE GREAT STEPHEN KING RE-READ (COMPLETE & UNCUT EDITION)








You've been here before...

Sure you have. Sure. I never forget a face...

I'm glad you decided to come back, because things are starting to happen here. It's been a long time coming, I know,  but I've been reading furiously and I'm finally making a sizable dent in what I've been calling my Great Stephen King Re-Read. I had hoped on starting this by the end of last year, but I've been waiting until I had a sizable lead in King's back catalogue before finally sitting down at the keyboard to write the first of my blogs.

I'm not quite sure how quickly these blogs are going to appear...

(I had originally hoped for one ever two weeks or so, but when you're suddenly faced with books that are 1,200+ pages, plus you have other projects to both research and write as well as look after a house, cook meals and not annoy the wife too much by continually disappearing into the writing study during our days off...well, you can start to see why that not be as feasible as I'd originally hoped!!)

...but I'm confidently hoping to I can have at least one of these blogs up a month (perhaps ever 3
weeks?!) to begin with. And when I say "confidently", this should obviously be interpreted as "sorta-kinda-fingers-crossed".

However, you'll be pleased to know that the very first of these blogs (his 1974 debut novel CARRIE) will be appearing early next week, so please do keep checking back here!!

Anyway - as a prologue to the blogs beginning next week I'd like to re-post the original introduction to this (some might say crazy) undertaking that I originally posted on here last year...





REPRODUCTION, REVELATION, REDEMPTION, RESUMPTION



Stephen King has been in my life for as long as I can remember. I was originally going to say “all my life”, but seeing as I came into this world in 1973 and I'm pretty sure my mother didn't come home from the library with her first King novel until around 1981, I thought that would be stretching the point a little. Everything before 1980 is a little hazy to me. I remember scraps of things - holidays down in Newquay, having a picture taken with a monkey on my head (I'll talk about that some other time), burning my hand on the hot tap at my Aunty June's house, watching Episode 4 of  the Doctor Who story Robots of Death air for the first time – but almost everything else is a little blurry as though I was trying to peer at it through a thick veil of shifty pale smoke.

But I remember the first time a Stephen King book came into our house.

I can't begin to tell you how much of an influence, how much of an inspiration King's work has had on my own writing. On my passion for reading. Ever since I could hold a pen I've been writing stories, and it was King's books that convinced me that I could write for a living too. During those moments when I had my doubts, when others around me were getting “real” jobs (even when there might have been those around me who had begun wondering when this writing fad of mine would run its course and I'd finally start thinking about learning a proper trade!).

It was around 1983, when I was 10 years old, that I borrowed the book from the library. That very same book that my mum had brought home with her just 2 years earlier. We called it the container library; it wasn't a permanent library, but a converted trailer of a lorry and only came around every Tuesday, but that's not relevant to this story and I'm sure I'll talk about the library again in an upcoming post. So, anyway, this book was a hardback published by Bounty Books and contained the first three of King's books: Carrie, 'Salem's Lot and The Shining. The cover had a montage of stills from Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of The Shining. Inside the books were presented out of order – The Shining first, followed by 'Salem's Lot, and finally Carrie. But I didn't read them that way. I noticed on the copyright page that Carrie should be read first. Then Salem's Lot. And finally The Shining. So that's how I read them. In reverse order in the book, but in the correct order in which they were published.


The next time I came across his books was in 1985. I wasn't feeling too well and I was off school and spending the day in bed. My mum had gone out to the mobile library and promised to bring me a few books back. Among the stack of books she came back with under her arm was a fire-engine-red paperback with beautiful cover art depicting a sleek 1950s American car emerging from the open door of a dark, ominous garage. That book was Christine and I absolutely devoured it. I finished it in two sittings over the course of two days.

And that, ladies and gentlemen of the court, was the exact moment I fell in love with King's writing. And I've been smitten ever since. Actually, you could probably call it more of an 'obsession', but let's not quibble on semantics at this early stage.

Over the past few years I've been toying with the idea of going back to the very beginning, all the way back to 1974 and Carrie and re-reading all of King's novels from the very beginning, in published order. I was curious how all these books – these books I had loved and cherished as a kid - would seem to me now, after all these years.

And now I figured that it was time for me to do just that!

Only I've decided to open it out just a little and include the four books of novellas, plus a novella from Skeleton Crew, as well as a novelette.

And as I read each of the books I'm going to blog about it. Actually, two of us are going to blog about it - adult me in the here and now, and the young me who's reading it twenty or more years ago. It'll be a joint effort. I'll be sharing with you my thoughts and feelings on each of the books as I read them now, and he'll be telling you his thoughts and feelings from the way back when.


Carrie
'Salem's Lot
The Shining
Rage
The Stand
The Long Walk
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
Roadwork
Cujo
The Running Man
Different Seasons  (novellas - Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body, The Breathing Method)
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
Christine
Pet Semetary
Cycle of the Werewolf  (novelette)
The Talisman
The Eyes of the Dragon
Thinner
The Mist  (novella from Skeleton Crew)
It
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
Misery
The Tommyknockers
The Dark Half
Four Past Midnight  (novellas - The Langoliers, Secret Window Secret Garden, The Library Policeman, The Sun Dog)
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
Needful Things
Gerald's Game
Dolores Claiborne
Insomnia
Rose Madder
The Green Mile
Desperation
The Regulators
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
Bag of Bones
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts in Atlantis   (novellas - Low Men in Yellow Coats, Hearts in Atlantis, Blind Willie, Why We're in Vietnam, Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling)
Dreamcatcher
Black House
From a Buick 8
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susanna
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
The Colorado Kid
Cell
Lisey's Story
Blaze
Duma Key
Under the Dome
Full Dark, No Stars   (novellas - 1922, Big Driver, Fair Extension, A Good Marriage)
11/22/63
The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Joyland
Doctor Sleep
Mr. Mercedes
Revival
Finders Keepers
End of Watch
Gwendy's Button Box
Sleeping Beauties
The Outsider
Elevation
The Institute







Comments

Popular Posts